Pad Thai is a staple street dish from Thailand and it is much loved all around the world. This dish is probably one of my absolute favorites and I was dying to figure a healthier version of it. Imagine my delight when I found out there are such things as low carb noodles.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with anyone who will listen.
- 1 package Shirataki fettucini noodles
- 1 ½ tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Coconut Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Xylitol
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons Coconut Oil for cooking
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves torn
- Peanuts slightly toasted & roughly chopped (optional)
- lime wedges
PREP THE SHIRATAKI NOODLES
Shirataki noodles (low carb) make this recipe. Upon first reading about these noodles, I must admit I was a bit skeptical since most reviews were pretty harsh about their smell. I was determined to have pad thai last friday therefore I bit the bullet. Yes, there is an odd smell to these noodles but if you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, the Konjac plant aroma does go away.
It’s pretty simple: drain the noodles, rinse thoroughly in cold water, place in boiling water for two minutes, then dry the noodles in a non-oiled pan over medium heat. Set aside.
PREP THE PAD THAI
- Whisk together thoroughly in a small bowl fish sauce, coconut aminos, sweetener and red pepper flakes. Add lime juice to taste, starting at 2 tablespoons.
- Heat up oil in a large Wok over medium heat. Add in garlic and sautée until it starts to brown. Add in chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes until cooked through. Pile the chicken on the edge of the pan.
- Pour in the lightly beaten eggs and stir them to scramble, you want a solid but moist consistency.
- Pour in your prepared sauce and mix well until the chicken and scrambled eggs are evenly coated. Toss in the Shirataki noodles until fully coated with the sauce. Add bean sprouts and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro and peanuts. Serve immediately with fresh lime.
This recipe is seriously delicious and guilt free. Hope you Enjoy!
I may earn commissions from the links in this post. Opinions shared on this blog are solely for entertainment purposes and should not be taken as professional advice.